An Online Catalogue
of English Grammar Exercises
'The' for unique things.
There is only one (could be one group!) and we all about know it.
following exercise, choose the or nothing.
1. .... people are human beings not animals.
2. ..... world is a wonderful place which ...human race is destroying.
3. There is only one....*Ritz which is why we call it........Ritz!
4. I don't like ....ice-cream when it's made from ...animal fat.
5. ..... head of......Roman Catholic Church is called....Pope.
6. .....leader of the political party in power in England is called.....Prime
7. ......islands are usually found in groups.
8. ......canal between the Atlantic and ....Pacific in
Panama is called....Panama Canal and
.....one in Egypt is called ....Suez Canal.
9. .......Queen of Denmark is not as rich as .....Queen of England.
*footnote: Žonly oneŽ is not
followed by 'the'
e.g. There is only one head of the church.
Answers: 1. O. 2 the, the 3. O, the 4. O, O 5. the, the,
the 6 the, the 7. O 8 the,
the, the, the, the 9. the, the
Put 'the' in front of certain words, e.g. the first, the next, the
last, the best, and all superlatives.
Two English friends talking to each other over a cup of coffee in
Piccadilly one day:
Woman: Guess who I saw yesterday?
Man: No idea.
Woman: (1)....... first French teacher I ever had.
Man: Oh, was she nice?
Woman: She was (2).....best. (3).....next one
wasn't nearly as nice.
Man: How many did you have?
Woman: Only two. (4) ....second one was.....last. I was (5).....worst student
at languages so I stopped studying French. I was (6)......happiest student in
the school when that happened.
Man: I was (7).......third person in my school to get a place in a foreign
Woman: I didn't go to University. My parents thought it was (8) ....stupidist
thing I ever did but I don't agree. I went round the world instead - and
Man: Because (9)....best way to learn a language is to go to the country?
Woman: No. Because I married a Frenchman and he
can't speak English. He was
(10)......worst student in the school too. Now he's a successful
Answer: 1 the 2 the 3 the 4. The 5 the 6 the 7 the 8 the 9 the 10 the
When you use the name of the person, the place or the planet, don't use
'the'. Say nothing. e.g. Martin, Montevideo, Mars.
See The A - Z of English Grammar & Usage for the rules.
click here to go back